Keep and Bear Arms Home Page
This article was printed from
For more gun- and freedom-related information, visit

Potential murderer shot to death in case of home self-defense

Originally ran here as:
Shooting 'may have been self-defense'
by Robin Fitzgerald
The Sun Herald
December 18, 2001

BILOXI, MISSISSIPPI -- A man who was injured in a fatal shooting Sunday in Hancock County remained hospitalized Monday while authorities combed the crime scene for more clues and interviewed the victim's family

The case was one of two fatal shootings on the Coast over the weekend.

In Biloxi, police said they were trying to confirm a motive for the slaying of 22-year-old Jason M. Davis. Police charged his brother, 21-year-old Raymond Morris Davis, with murder after a shooting at their home in rural Woolmarket around 9 p.m. Friday.

In the Hancock County case, Joe Beall, 43, remained in serious condition Monday at Garden Park Medical Center in Gulfport after he was shot early Sunday at his home on Mississippi 53.

Authorities said they found Jimmy R. Roberds, 44, of Diamondhead, dead at Beall's home after Angela Beall called 911 to report a man had kidnapped her and shot her husband.

Angela Beall was at a Christmas party with Roberds in Louisiana on Saturday night when he held a gun to her head, forced her inside her Corvette and said he was taking her home so he could kill her husband, said Bob Lambert, criminal investigator for the Hancock County Sheriff's Department.

Joe Beall was awakened out of a dead sleep when Roberds reportedly kicked in the door of his home north of the Necaise community, Lambert said.

Beall apparently grabbed a gun, and his wife grabbed a cell phone from inside the house and ran outside to call for help.

No charges have been filed in Roberds' death.

"It may have been self-defense," said Lambert. "We still don't know the relationship between Mrs. Bealls and Mr. Roberds."

Technicians from the state Crime Lab are expected to return to the couple's home today to finish collecting evidence, Lambert said.

In the Biloxi shooting, the Davis brothers were apparently arguing at their home on Michael Street when Raymond Davis shot his brother several times, Coroner Gary Hargrove said. Jason Davis died of a gunshot wound to the head, and was found near the back door.

Police said they will not release further details on the case.

"That will have to come out when it goes to trial," said Capt. Rick Kirk, criminal investigator.

Jason Davis worked at Lighthouse Marble Works in Woolmarket, where his supervisor, Derrick Kendall, described him as "a real easy-going and helpful guy. It took everybody here by surprise."

Robin Fitzgerald can be reached at 896-2307

NOTICE: In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, this material is distributed, without profit, for research or educational purposes. We do our best, as well, to give credit to the original news source who published these Guns Save Lives stories out of respect and appreciation for their willingness to spread the word that Guns Save Lives -- and when an original link is available, we ALWAYS send all our visitors to read the original article on the original site where it was posted. God Bless the Americans that publish these stories - for assisting Americans in hearing the truth about guns saving lives.